On September 18th, Governor Bill Lee made a historic announcement calling the entire state of Tennessee to a time of fasting, repentance and prayer on October 10th, 2019.
Visit the church you regularly attend or contact a church in your community. Nashville region, join a public gathering at the Municipal Arena, across from the state capitol. See a community calendar HERE .
Fasting and Prayer are spiritual disciplines that are taught in the Bible. Jesus expected His followers to fast, and He said that God rewards fasting. Fasting, according to the Bible, means to voluntarily reduce or eliminate your intake of food for a specific time and purpose.
16 “Whenever you fast, don’t be sad-faced like the hypocrites. For they make their faces unattractive hso their fasting is obvious to people. I assure you: They’ve got their reward! 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head, and wash your face, 18 so that you don’t show your fasting to people but to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Mt 6:16–18).
"When you pray, don’t babble like the idolaters, since they imagine they’ll be heard for their many words. 'Don’t be like them, because your Father knows the things you need before you ask Him.'" (Mt 6:7–8)
The Bible clearly teaches that we should fast, but why should we fast? There are many good reasons, but specifically the United’n’Fasting and United’n’Prayer are for three primary reasons (see next section).
1. Praying for our specific area – Metro Nashville. For all people. Fasting gives us more time to pray. You can use the time you'd normally spend eating as time in prayer for what God wants to do in our city. In the Bible, fasting is always connected with prayer. (Acts 13:2-3)
2. Pray for your specific church. Pray for Saturday and Sunday. That means all gospel preaching and teaching ministries that take place. Often the prep time is throughout the week and all the people involved from greeter, worship, prayer, member, guest, speaker, and leader. When we pray we UNITE in a very serious manner. When we give up eating to spend time in prayer we place a high value on what we are praying and God honors deep desire and praying in faith.
3. Pray for an Awakening – God’s supernatural power. Satan would like nothing better than to cause division, discouragement, defeat, depression, and doubt among us. United prayer and fasting has always been used by God to deal a decisive blow to the enemy! "So we fasted and prayed about these concerns. And he listened." Ezra 8:23 Isaiah 58:6
Often in the Bible, God's people fasted immediately before a major victory, miracle, or answer to prayer. It prepared them for a blessing!
• Moses fasted before he received the Ten Commandments. – Exodus 34:28
• The Israelites fasted before a miraculous victory. – 2 Chronicles 20:2-3
• Daniel fasted in order to receive guidance from God. – Daniel 9:3, 21-22
• Nehemiah fasted before beginning a major building project. – Nehemiah 1:4
• Jesus fasted during His victory over temptation. – Luke 4:2
• The first Christians fasted during-decision making times. – Acts 13:2-3
1) Fasting does not get God to answer the prayer, but God answers our prayers out of grace and according to His will. Fasting petitions God and prepares us for His answer.
2) Make sure your health allows you to fast. You may only be able to do a reduction or a partial fast – do it in the same manner.